The proper way to apply for a DUI Ignition Interlock Limited License
New Ignition Interlock Law in Pennsylvania and Applying for an IILL – Posting 2.
Under the new ignition interlock law, applying for an ignition interlock limited license (IILL) can be confusing. Here are the REQUIRED steps to apply and to avoid a rejection of your IILL application:
(1) Surrender your license to the court on the day of your conviction (this requirement will be changing and you will be required to surrender your license to PennDOT).
(2) Await receipt of a letter from PennDOT officially notifying you of the license suspension.
(3) Go to the Pa DUI Association website at www.padui.org (or call 1-800-627-2384) and select an ignition interlock vendor.
(4) Call the vendor to schedule an appointment to install the ignition interlock device. The average cost to lease the ignition interlock is between $900 and $1,300 annually. One vendor has indicated that depending on the make of the car, the installation fee is between $90 and $200.
(5) Complete the IILL Petition (DL-9108) and Self Certification of Vehicles to be Completed form (DL-9108SC). These can be found on the PennDOT website: http://www.dmv.pa.gov/Information-Centers/Suspensions/Pages/Ignition-Interlock-Limited-License.aspx (you will lose the $65 application fee if you apply before complying with the above five steps)
(6) Have the vendor install the ignition interlock device and complete Section D of the self-certification form (DL-9108SC). The vendor should make a copy and return the original form to you.
(7) Send by certified mail the completed DL-9108, DL-9108SC, and $65 to:
Pennsylvania Department of Transportation Bureau of Driver Licensing
Restorations Unit, Ignition Interlock License
P.O. Box 68273
Harrisburg, PA 17106-8273
(8) Within 27 days of receiving your petition, PennDOT will inform you in writing of whether you are eligible for an IILL.